Since 2011, Family Connection-Communities In Schools of Hancock County, Inc. has served as the lead agency for the Hancock County Early Reading Coalition (HCERC). HCERC serves as the local administrator for the Teach In Hancock Scholarship. The scholarship is designed to assist individuals who are graduates of Hancock Central High School with the necessary financial support to pursue studies in a P-12 educational training program with an agreement to teach in Hancock or some other rural community in Georgia.
Individuals can receive $2,000 for four years if enrolled in a 4-yr institution or $1,000 for two years if enrolled in a technical college. Eligibility Criteria are as follows:
- Graduating or graduated from Hancock Central High School with a HOPE qualifying GPA
- Accepted or enrolled for full-time studies in an accredited college or university in Georgia
- Accepted or enrolled in technical school in Georgia.
- Planning to major in P-12 educational field.
- Planning to teach in a rural (non-metro) county in Georgia
If an individual is selected, he or she agrees:
- To complete 30 volunteer hours per academic year with the HCECRC.
- To maintain a GPA which is consistent with the HOPE scholarship eligibility requirements
- To submit at the end of each academic year, a transcript of grades to the HCECRC
- To notify the HCECRC if for any reason he or she is unable to complete a semester and must withdraw from school. Notification must be in writing, and the reasons for withdrawal must be clearly stated, as well as intentions for the future. The HCECRC reserves the right to withdraw the grant award at that time.
Deadline for scholarship applications are June 30th of each year. Click HERE to download scholarship application.